Trek to Kareri Lake
- March - May, October - December
- Advance to Challenging
- 03 Nights / 04 days
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE : Kareri Lake 3250 m
ACCOMODATION : Tents - 2 Nights & Temple - 1 day
The Trek of the Kareri Lake ascends the relatively remote trails through magnificent forests and secluded Hindu villages not yet connected to the road. Kareri Lake is also an ideal base from which to explore the upper ridges of the Dhaula Dhar to savour the views across the Kangra valley as well as glimpse the high peaks that extend beyond the Pir Panjal to the Himalayan Range.
DAY 01: Mcleod ganj - Kareri village (1870m) Trek/13km
The trek is goes through the pine forests and crosses several tribal villages on the way. Kareri is a Gaddi tribal village. Night stay in one of the village houses or in tents.
DAY 02: Kareri village to Kareri Lake (3250m) Trek/14 km
Trail goes through mixed forests of oak, rhododendron and pine. First 2 Km is a level walk and then there is sleep ascent along Kareri Nullah Stream which has to be crossed over a number of times over improvised wooden bridges. Night stay in tents at bank of Kareri Lake.
DAY 03: Kareri Lake to Guna Temple (2400 m) Trek/14 km
After a short from the lake, is a steep descent through the forest to guna temple.
Night stay at temple.
DAY 04: Guna Temple to Mcleod Ganj back.
Approx estimate cost :
- 2-3 persons : INR 26,500/-
- 4-5 persons : INR 38,000/-
- 6-7 persons : INR 48,500/-
- 8-10 persons : INR 62,000/-
Transport Options (Delhi - McLeod ganj - Delhi)
For travel to Mcleod ganj and back one can choose between air, rail & road. For air travel, the closest airport is the Gaggal DHM, also known as Kangra Airport, or Dharamshala Airport and is well connected to Delhi and other parts of the country by Kingfisher Red.
There is frequent Public Transport buses including Volvos available from Delhi to Mcleodganj that cost about Rs. 550 - 900 per person. These buses depart from Majnu ka tilla every 30 mins. or so and take about 12 hrs to cover the distance. The same is also applicable on the return journey. A private vehicle could also be arranged for if you require the same.
Summer in McLeod Ganj extends from March to June when the temperature variation is recorded to be ranging between 23°c and 27°c. Mercury sometimes reaches up to 38°c but never goes beyond that. During winters the temperature can drop to -1° and the maximum temperature hardly goes up to 20°c.
Please keep in mind that the above information is not exact and does not account for sudden changes. Whatever the temperatures and conditions rest assured we will be prepared to handle it with ease as we use equipment of very high specifications
- Transport cost for private departures is extra and can be provided to you once we know the dates, choice of vehicle and the group size.
- All vegetarian meals beginning with breakfast on Day 01 to breakfast on Day 06.
- Porter/mules for client baggage (one bag per client not weighing more than 15 kgs)
- Camping equipment - international quality equipment will be provided
- Professional guide
- Park entry fee & all applicable taxes
Cost does not include
- Travel between Delhi and Mcleod ganj (can be arranged by us on request)
- Any meals/services not mentioned above
- Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.
- Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
- Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.